Appeal about difficult words

I have been mailing to my friends, seniors and juniors, over the last few days about 'heavy' and 'difficult' words. The message was as follows:

I need your help for a study I am planning to begin.
I am compiling a list of 'heavy' and 'difficult' words which appear in news columns of English newspapers. These words should appear (to you) as difficult for readers who are most likely to be Indian graduates. The readers may need dictionary to understand the meaning.

To give you some examples, I have picked up the following words from newspapers during the last couple of days:

Inferno, Man Friday, Dark Horse, hustings, Trojan Horse, Keep fingers crossed, Juggernaut, hunk, followed suit,incarcerate, conflagration

(The informal method I followed was to ask someone standing close by to tell me the meaning of the word. Many of these words were not known to them.)
KT

Comments

Popular Posts